Earlier this year, we restated our commitment to increasing college access. For us, that means not only supporting the work that colleges and universities are doing to promote college awareness and access, but it also means providing students with access to the great breadth of institutions of higher education in our Membership.
We are delighted to announce that starting in the 2015-2016 admission year, students will be able to apply to 69 new colleges and universities through the Common App.
This year’s class exemplifies the same high-quality, diversity, and commitment to creating a college-going culture that we have been privileged to attract as a Membership organization over the last forty years. Our new Members represent 25 states, 5 countries outside the United States, and include 18 public institutions, 10 international institutions, and 3 HBCUs. Among the class, we have:
- Framingham State University, a comprehensive public university located just west of Boston, Massachusetts, which enrolls more than 4,000 undergraduate students across a wide range of academic majors. Framingham State prepares students for a productive life, enhanced by learning and leadership that will contribute to the culturally diverse world of the 21st century;
- Monmouth College, a selective four-year coed private liberal arts college in Monmouth, Illinois. Monmouth enrolls 1,300 students, pursuing 35 majors, 30 minors and 16 pre-professional programs and a core curriculum featuring an integrative learning course sequence;
- Old Dominion University, in Norfolk, Virginia, which is Virginia’s entrepreneurial-minded doctoral research university with more than 25,000 students, rigorous academics, an energetic residential community, and initiatives that contribute $2.1 billion annually to the regional economy;
- St. John’s University, a private, Catholic university in New York City, recognized for quality academics, focus on service, locations around the world, BIG EAST athletics, and cosmopolitan spirit that prepares students for success and ethical leadership in today’s global society; and,
- Wayne State University, a nationally recognized metropolitan research institution located in Detroit, Michigan, offering more than 380 academic programs through 13 schools and colleges to nearly 28,000 students.
With our innovative cloud-based architecture and latest service enhancements, the Common App will be able to support the additional Prospective Applicants these new Members will add to the pool. We are pleased to welcome these Members, and to provide all of our Members the opportunity to find those bright and talented students across the country that they may not otherwise have reached.